The heart of your real estate business is your database of clients, leads, colleagues, friends and family. This list of valued relationships is priceless – it is your main source of referrals and the foundation on which your business is built.
One of the biggest hurdles for an agent to overcome when preparing a business plan is the compilation of a database. Whether brand new in real estate or preparing for the new year, the database is the first source of headache for many real estate salespeople! New agents may find that they lack spreadsheet software on their computer, like Microsoft Excel. Seasoned agents may be faced with the daunting task of downloading many databases from many programs and compiling them into one spreadsheet in an effort to simplify and organize… again.
That’s why we love Google Drive’s™ Spreadsheet tool for managing databases. If you’re not using it yet, you’ll love it too because:
- It is free
- It is cloud-based – it can be accessed from any location and almost any device
- It auto-saves your work so you don’t need to worry about computer crashes or power outages
- You can create, edit and share your database with your assistant or team
- You can download your spreadsheet in every format you need for uploading to contact management software or email service providers, including Top Producer®, Market Leader®, Referral Maker™, Constant Contact®, and so on.
Here’s how to set up your database using Google Drive™
- Log into your free Google™ account. If you don’t have one, go to www.drive.google.com and set up a free Google™ account.
- Once logged in to Google Drive™ , click the “Create” button in the left column, and select “Spreadsheet”.
- Title your spreadsheet by clicking in the top left corner “Untitled Spreadsheet”.
- Title your columns with appropriate headers: “First Name, Last Name, Street Address, City, State, Zip, Cell Phone and Email” are standard column titles.
- Enter in your contacts’ data.
We’ve designed a Market Leader Contacts DatabaseTemplate for you to use in Google Drive™.
Access this template at your discretion to save time in setting up your spreadsheet!
Troop Associates have exclusive access to Market Leader Business Suite to manage leads and contact communications. Here is how to access and use the Google Drive™ template to build your sphere, whether for Market Leader or personal use:
- Sign into Google Drive™ at www.drive.google.com
- Go to bit.ly/DriveDatabase
- Select File, then Make A Copy
- Rename this spreadsheet and click “OK”
- This has automatically saved your database in your Google Drive™!
To access the saved spreadsheet in your Google Drive™ dashboard, click the top left spreadsheet icon.
by Brooke James
Ask Brooke a question! Email her at email@example.com or call (805) 413-8214.